Posted August 10, 2020 at 1:00 pm.
The YMCA and a host of over dozen community partners have joined forces to provide summer meals for children today through August 29, 2020. Some sites will distribute meals through September 4, 2020.
Please note the following three partners sites will no longer be serving food: Hanley Academy, Helping Hands Women and Youth and Women’s Org., and Voyageur International Academy. Families may choose to visit other sites listed on this week’s schedule.
All meals are grab and go and ready to eat. Our meals include fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and milk. Families may receive 1 meal bundle per child on each visit. This includes four breakfast meals and four lunches, along with milk. Children do not need to be present. The Y does its best to fulfill the full quantity for each family, but adjustments may be made as a result of availability and demand. We are proud to announce March – May we distributed over 90,000 meals and look forward to continuing serving you and our communities.
This program is made possible by our partnership with the Michigan Department of Education, United Way of Southeast Michigan, public funding and a host of community partners/donors. We are all working together to provide healthy meals to school age youth up to age 18 and young adults with special needs up to age 26. Coordination of this work is ongoing. Please check our site daily for updates.
Parents and youth may pickup 4 days of meals per child (4 breakfast/4 lunches) this week at our YMCA and Community Partner locations. Please note site location date and time changes.
|Site||Address||Afternoon Service Time||Days|
|Birmingham Y||400 E Lincoln St, Birmingham, 48009||10:30-11:00||Tuesday and Friday|
|Boll Family Y||1401 Broadway, Detroit, 48226||04:30-05:30||Tuesday and Friday|
|Brightmoor Artisans||22735 Fenkell Ave, Detroit, 48223||01:30-02:00||Tuesday and Friday|
|Bradby Park||9641 Cardoni St, Detroit, 48211||02:30-3:00||Tuesday and Friday|
|Downriver Y||16777 Northline Rd, Southgate, MI 48195||12:00-12:30||Tuesday and Friday|
|Farmington Y||28100 Farmington Rd, Farmington Hills, 48334||03:45-04:15||Tuesday and Friday|
|Grafton Townhouses (Community Housing Network)||14800 E. 9 Mile, Eastpointe, MI 48021||03:45-04:15||Wednesday|
|Hazel Park Community Center||620 W Woodward Heights Blvd, Hazel Park 48030||04:30-05:00||Monday and Wednesday|
|Jefferson Oaks||22001 Republic Ave, Oak Park, 48237||01:30-02:00||Tuesdays and Thursday|
|Kulick Community Center||1201 Livernois St, Ferndale, MI 48220||03:45-04:15||Monday and Wednesday|
|Livonia Y||14255 Stark Rd, Livonia, MI 48154||01:00-01:30||Tuesday and Friday|
|Macomb||10 N River Rd, Mt Clemens, MI 48043||09:30-10:00||Tuesday and Friday|
|North Oakland||3378 E Walton Blvd, Auburn Hills, 48326||10:30-11:00||Tuesday and Friday|
|Stout Park||13630 Stout St, Detroit 48223||02:15-02:45||Tuesday and Friday|
|Peaches and Greens/Y Kitchen||8838 3rd St, Detroit 48202||03:00-04:00||Tuesday and Friday|
|South Oakland||1016 W 11 Mile Rd, Royal Oak, 48367||04:30-05:00||Tuesday and Friday|
|Trillium Academy||15740 Racho Rd., Taylor, MI 48180||10:00-01:00||Monday|
|Valade Park||2670 Atwater St., Detroit MI 48207||03:00-03:30||Tuesday and Thursday|
|Reading and Rhythm on the Riverfront||7130 Jefferson Ave E 48207||10:00-12:45||Thursday and Friday|
- Children do not have to be present on site for parents to take meals for them. We are going on the honor system when they tell us they have a child, 18 years or younger, that they will be taking the meals to.
- We can serve Breakfast and Lunch at the same time.
- Parents/Children can take up to 4 days worth of meals.
- Children do not have to eat their meals on site.
- All meals will be grab and go.
- Meals can be served directly from the delivery truck so families do not need to enter the YMCA.
YMCA COVID-19 Food Distribution Healthy Food Preparation and Distribution Process
The meals being distributed at YMCA food distribution sites come from two sources:
1. Unique Food Management located in Pontiac, Michigan
2. YMCA Healthy Living Kitchen housed at Peaches and Greens in Detroit, Michigan
Both sites adhere to all health department guidelines and all the food we distribute meets and exceeds nutritional requirements as prescribed by the USDA
In response to COVID-19 these are our elevated hygiene and sanitary practices:
Food Prep to promote community health
1. We are not allowing any workers who may be ill to prepare or serve food
2. All staff are required to wash their hands frequently for a minimum of 20 seconds before and after food preparation and at any food preparation breaks
3. All staff who prepare food have food handlers certifications and are also required to wear gloves when preparing meals
4. All food contact surfaces, commonly touched surfaces and other surfaces are cleaned before and after food prep using EPA COVID-19 approved cleaners
5. All food is pre-packaged when it leaves either facility
Food Distribution to help insure community member and staff health
1. Food is distributed prepackaged and handed out, outside, directly from sanitized storage containers
2. Encouraging staff to wear masks and gloves as supplies permit
3. Encouraging families to drive up to sites and the Y team will place food in the vehicle
4. Discouraging families from leaving their vehicle to receive food when possible
5. Families walking or riding bikes will still be served
6. Sanitizing van surfaces between uses