The YMCA offers an intensive, 3-day lifeguard certification course scheduled over one weekend. Our program is led by certified lifeguard instructors and professional aquatics directors. Students get hands on training (in the pool), with practical experience in essential lifeguard skills.
A hands on and proactive approach to lifeguard training, the International Lifeguard Training Program™ (ILTP™) is a single, integrated curriculum that successfully trains lifeguards through proven training methods and state-of-the-art lifeguard rescue skills. Course includes lifeguard rescue skills, First Aid, CPR for Professional Rescuers, Emergency Oxygen Support and Automated External Defibrillation.
Lifeguard certificate is valid at any aquatic facility in the U.S. where water depth is 9ft or less (excluding open water and wave environments). Students must attend all days and times of course for certification as well as complete an assigned resource document, 80% on written exam and demonstrate mastery of all practical skills.
What Certifications come with the class
• Ellis and Associates Lifeguard Certification
• Basic Life Support for Professional Rescuer (CPR), includes adults, children and infants
• First Aid
• Emergency Oxygen Administration
• Automated External Defibrillation (AED)
• Swim 200 yards using either front crawl or breaststroke (no time requirement, but most be done without a prolonged stop)
• Tread water for 1 minute without the use of hands
• Grab a 10lb weight from the deepest part of the pool
Our instructors are willing to provide additional coaching if any of the prerequisites cannot be met.
Benefits of taking an Ellis lifeguard class
• You learn valuable lifesaving skills from the lifeguard company that sets the standard for safe and effective lifeguarding.
• You get a lifeguard book included in the price of the class.
• You will receive study materials and flowcharts prior to the start of the class.
• Your Ellis and Associates Lifeguard certification allows you to apply for lifeguard jobs as a fully certified lifeguard.
• You can become a lifeguard in just one weekend!
What you need to bring:
• Bathing suit
• Some food–lunch and maybe a snack