Assistant Swim Team Coach
Under the supervision of the Head Swim Team Coach, the assistant Swim Coach will be responsible for organization, management and daily operation of the branch Swim Team program. He or she will be responsible for managing a quality program according to the established policies, missions and expectations of the YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit and the YMCA of the USA.
- Current Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Must have the knowledge required for coaching youth in competitive swimming
- Must be able to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with other staff, leaders, members and the community
- Must have good communication skills and organizational ability to effectively manage the members, volunteers, equipment and resources of the department
- Coaching experience with some competitive swimming background
- Supervises the general facilities on-site (pool, pool deck, equipment storage, locker rooms) as well as off-site for upkeep, cleanliness and proper usage during and following program use
- Participates in aquatic staff meetings
- Works with supervisor to achieve the projected number of swimmers
- Maintain clear communication with supervisor, assistant coaches, swimmers, parents and parent support group
- Maintains a current team roster indicating membership expiration and times achieved for each swimmer on the team.
- Is safety conscious at all times during practices swim meets or other team functions. Maintains all required safety certifications.
- Attends all meetings and functions related to the swim team.
- Acts as a role model for the swimmers instilling the YMCA core values.
If you’re interested, please complete an application and contact Operations Director Katie Kokko at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT COUNSELOR – DAY CAMP
The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit is seeking positive role models who are caring, outgoing, creative, love to have fun, enjoy being outside, and want to make a positive impact in the lives of youth in our day camp programs.
- Serve as a role model for all youth participating in the day camp program by displaying
exemplary behavior at all times.
- Plan, assist, and implement program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA core values for campers.
- Be willing to dress up, save the world, win the game and lose the game when needed.
- Ensure a safe and nurturing environment; attending to the needs of campers at all times.
- Be welcoming to all campers, parents and other staff.
- Consciously create a climate in camp to foster the goals and objectives of the YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit.
- Supervise a group of 6 – 12 children.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings.
- Assume equal responsibility of general housekeeping tasks.
- Follow YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical situations and behavior management, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Must be at least 18 year of age.
Daily camp activities include: creating memories, building friendships, increasing confidence, fostering smiles and developing the leaders of tomorrow through swimming, games, arts & crafts, science, literacy, and much more! If you believe in the YMCA core values of honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring, and want to make a difference in the life of a child, please apply.
If you’re interested, please complete an application and contact our Y for interviewing dates and times.
A minimum of one national personal training certification (ACSM, ACE, AFAA, CES, Cooper, IPFA, ISSA, NASM, NESTA, NETA, NPTI, NSCA, and WITS) and/or a bachelors degree in a related field from an accredited University. Strong customer service background and communication skills are a must, sales and previous personal training experience is a plus. YMCA Personal Trainers will lead training sessions for members teaching proper exercise techniques, principles, and procedures. Flexible schedule, have fun and feel good about helping others.
Contact: Jonathan Guest at the Farmington Family YMCA, 248-306-3057 or email@example.com
Group Exercise Instructor
Certified instructors with positive energy and a good attitude toward working in a group class setting are wanted. The Farmington Family YMCA is looking to provide our members with a wide variety of exciting, and challenging, classes to keep them engaged. Pilates, Kickboxing, and Tai Chi are in high demand but, all are welcome.
Contact: Jonathan Guest at the Farmington Family YMCA, 248-306-3057 or firstname.lastname@example.org
School Age Child Care Staff
Our Y is seeking quality applicants for Site Director and Site Assistant in our School Aged Child Care program. Please see below for details.
Site Director Qualifications
At least 2 years of experience in childcare or related field. Fun, energetic, creative leader wanted to lead staff and children in our before and after care program. Must be 19 to apply; must have college credits in childcare or related field. Education students or teachers preferred. Possible 20 hours a week. (Morning and Afternoon Shifts Available; Schedule is 7:00a-9:00a and 3:00p-6:00p).
Site Assistant Qualifications
At least 1 year of experience in childcare or related field. Fun, energetic, caring individuals wanted to work with elementary aged students in our aftercare program. Must be 18 to apply. (Morning and Afternoon Shifts Available; Schedule is 7:00a-9:00a and 3:00p-6:00p).
Our Before and After School programs runs in 10 elementary schools in the Farmington Public School district, in addition to three elementary schools and one middle school within the Detroit Service Learning Academy and University Prep Academies. We are located on site at the school from 7:15 a.m. until the bell rings for the start of the school day and again in the afternoon from the last bell to 6:00 p.m. This split shift is perfect for college students, substitute teachers, or individuals who want to pick up some extra hours and love working with children. If you are interested, please contact Leana Parker, Senior Program Director via email: email@example.com.
The Farmington YMCA is looking for lifeguards that are responsible for ensuring the safety of all members and program participants within the aquatic facility by being on the guard stand or patrolling. He/she will be responsible for carrying out and enforcing aquatic policies and procedures in compliance with the statutes as described by the State of Michigan, the YMCA of the USA, Jeff Ellis and Associates and the YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit. For more information please see the job description.
To apply, please download an application and deliver it to Stephanie Huber, Aquatics Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 248-306-3062. You may email your application, or turn it in directly to the Farmington YMCA.
Water Exercise Instructor
The Farmington YMCA is looking for energetic individuals who love to exercise in the water! Water exercise instructors are needed for morning and evening classes. For more information please see the job description.
To apply, please download an application and deliver it Katie Kokko, Branch Operations Director, at email@example.com.
Swim Lesson Instructor
A swim instructor is responsible for teaching all levels of the National YMCA Swim Lesson program. This person will keep accurate attendance records, develop lesson plans and distribute family huddles and progress reports to all swimmers as well as evaluate and assess skill level and progress of all swimmers. The swim instructor must also be able to motivate, evaluate and communicate with all age groups. For more information please see the job description.
To apply, please download an application and deliver it to Stephanie Huber, Aquatics Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Farmington Family YMCA is hiring a Soccer Instructor. All applicants should have some soccer experience and previous experience coaching or working with children. All interested applicants should send their resume to Sports Coordinator, London Lewis at email@example.com.
Position requires weeknight and weekend availability. Applicants must have experience in sports, teaching/coaching and working with children. All interested applicants should send their resume to Sports Coordinator, London Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position requires weeknight and weekend availability. Position can include officiating for both youth and adult leagues. Applicants must have officiating experience and experience working with children. All interested applicants should send their resume to Sports Coordinator, London Lewis at email@example.com. Position is part-time.
Position requires weeknight availability. Applicants must have experience in gymnastics and working with children. Experience in teaching/coaching preferred. All interested applicants should send their resume to Sports Coordinator, London Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Front Desk Staff
We’re looking for a customer service representative. Under the direction of the front desk manager, the customer service rep will engage our members and provide clerical support, answering telephones and assisting with membership initiatives. This is a very interpersonal position, so we’re hoping for friendly, outgoing applicants!
To apply, please download an application and deliver it to Kimberley Michanowicz, Front Desk Supervisor, at email@example.com.
Girls on the Run/STRIDE Coordinator
The Girls on the Run/STRIDE Coordinator is under the direct supervision of the Sports Director. This part-time position shall be responsible for the implementation, administration and oversight for all Girls on the Run programs contracted through the Farmington Family YMCA. Duties will include all Girls on the Run/STRIDE programming including preseason preparation, on-site management, assisting with the 5k event, and any additional responsibilities related to Girls on the Run/STRIDE as necessary. Additionally, the Girls on the Run/STRIDE Coordinator will assist in the annual fundraising campaign.
- Two years of experience in recreation or related field is required.
- A minimum of two years of YMCA experience is preferred in coaching, refereeing or training.
- Candidate must have experience working with volunteers.
- Current First Aid and CPR is required.
- Candidate must have demonstrated strong communication skills, oral and written, and organizational skills.
- Ideal candidate should possess effective problem solving and conflict resolution skills, quality public speaking skills, the ability to work independent as well as lead others and be comfortable working with budgets.
To apply, please download an application and deliver it to London Lewis, Sports Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.