Every day, the Downriver Family YMCA gives our community the support it needs to learn, grow and thrive. From advocacy to food security, disease prevention to athletics, football to dance classes, everything we do helps strengthen our neighborhood and the people who live here.
But keeping Southeast Michigan great is a full-time job. Every day, our community faces new challenges that create a greater need for the work we do. And we need your help to do it. Your gift can help the Downriver community and everyone in it shine.
For a better you. For a better community. For a better country.
The Y.™ For a better us.™
When we work together, our whole community moves forward. Without volunteers, the Y wouldn’t be able to meet the needs of the kids, families, and adults who live in our community.
Volunteers are vital to the Y. A variety of volunteer opportunities are available, so we are able to match your interests with our needs in most cases. Please note that volunteers must be at least 16 years of age.
Current Volunteer Opportunities at our Y
You can help at the Y in a variety of roles supporting youth development, healthy living and social responsibility in our community. No matter how you devote your time, you’ll be working with other volunteers and Y professionals to make a difference in the lives of children and families.
- Youth Sports Coach
- Our Y needs volunteers to help coach youth sports. You’ll volunteer with our Sports Director, helping kids learn how to play and enjoy sports. At the Y, playing sports is an opportunity for kids to develop self-confidence and sportsmanship. As a volunteer coach, you’ll have the opportunity to act as a role model for youth as you teach the fundamental skills of the sport.
- Girls on the Run Coach
- Our volunteer coaches lead their teams through the Girls on the Run-developed curriculum, stretching and running activities, and training for the end-of-season 5K event. You do not need to be a runner or a competitive athlete. Successful coaches need only serve as a role model for girls by showing up prepared and on time, listening attentively, and by demonstrating a positive attitude!
- Customer Service and Member Connection
- Help us welcome people at the Y. If you volunteer to help with customer service and member connection, you’ll support the Front Desk Supervisor by greeting members, keeping the lobby area clean, gathering and folding towels and helping in the business office.
- Child Care and Child Watch
- The Y provides a nurturing and caring environment for children, and our Y needs volunteers to help in our child services areas. Under supervision by our Child Watch Coordinator, Volunteers help by creating a fun and safe environment for the children. You might read during “story time,” help the children enjoy play time, look after the toys and act as a role model in Child Watch.
- Building and Grounds
- Our Y needs volunteers to help our Building and Grounds team. By supporting our Generalist, you can do light indoor and or outdoor work to help with improvements at the YMCA. Volunteers can help with light cleaning, locker room checks or painting. You can also help outdoors, looking after the flower beds or trimming bushes, cutting grass, and sweeping.
- Wellness and Fitness
- Help us provide a quality wellness experience for Y members and fitness seekers–volunteer with our Wellness Director. You’ll help members and guests have a safe and pleasant experience in our fitness areas and weight rooms by helping with weight and cardio machine set up and keeping the workout areas clean and tidy.
- Advisory Board of Directors
- The Board of Advisors primarily involves itself with planning and advancing the mission and vision of their YMCA. It also ensures that the funds are available in order for the Y to be able to achieve its strategic goals. Board volunteers bring credibility to the YMCA through their visibility in the community, their professional expertise and their passion for community building.
- Help the Y raise funds to support the Annual Campaign. In this role you will help the membership campaign portion of the Annual Campaign, assuring the campaign meets its goals in recruiting volunteers and securing donations.
Share your YMCA Story
Do you have a Y story that has changed your life? If a story about the Y has meaning for you and you’re willing to tell it, then we believe it’s worth hearing. Your story—whether it’s about you, the people you know, or an entire community—has the potential to motivate others with real-life tales of how the Y not only promises, but also delivers positive change.