YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit
Full Facility Membership
A Facility Membership gives members access to all member areas of the YMCA facility, preferred rates on programs, complimentary fitness classes and other value added services.
Allows participation in YMCA programs at the Community Participant rate. This does not include access to the facility including wellness center, member benefit classes, open swim or open gym. Community Participants will pay an annual registration fee.
The YMCA is an inclusive association of people regardless of inability to pay. The YMCA, through our Annual Strong Kids Campaign, uses contributed funds to ensure that all may participate to the extent funds are available. If fees are a concern, please inquire at the front desk for a scholarship application. All records are kept confidential.
HOURS, CLASS CANCELLATIONS & CLOSINGS
Facility & Holiday Hours
Hours vary by branch and season. YMCA branches will have shortened hours and closures on select holidays. Please contact your branch for specific hours.
Class and Program Cancellation Policy
Operation of all classes and scheduled activities depend on minimum enrollments and are subject to change at any time.
The YMCA will cancel classes and leagues whenever the branch public schools close due to weather. No refund or credit statement will be issued if class is cancelled due to inclement weather.
In order to keep facilities in the best possible condition, the YMCA or portions of the YMCA may close temporarily for repairs and renovations. There will be no adjustments or refunds of dues for these periods of closure.
- Guests may only enter the YMCA when accompanied by a member.
- A member may host a maximum of two (2) non-members at a time.
- The same non-member may only be a guest once per month with a maximum of two visits per year.
- A guest fee will be charged for guest usage of the YMCA.
- All guests 18 and over must present picture identification and complete a registration and waiver of liability form prior to entry into the YMCA.
- A parent or legal guardian must accompany all guests under the age of eighteen (18) or present an authorization form for release of liability signed by a parent or legal guardian prior to using the YMCA.
- Appropriate attire must be worn at all times when using the YMCA. Shoes and shirts are required in all areas outside the locker rooms and pool areas. Only shoes with non – marking soles are allowed on the gymnasium floors, exercise studios, tennis/racquetball courts.
Visiting members from an out-of-town YMCA are welcome by showing their YMCA membership card. AWAY members will receive a 50% discount off the posted guest fee.
Membership Quick Facts
- Members must present their membership card/key fob in order to be admitted to the Y.
- Membership-level adjustments (i.e. youth to teen, young adult to adult) are automatically made with 30 day written notice to the member.
- The Y reserves the right to increase membership dues and inform such members with a 30 day written notice.
- Memberships are non-transferable
- Members involved in a fight, who use profanity, or who engage in other inappropriate behavior as determined by the Y while using YMCA facilities or participating in YMCA programs will forfeit their membership privileges at the discretion of the YMCA. Depending on the circumstances, the termination of the membership may be without a refund.
- Members and guests are not allowed on YMCA premises with firearms, weapons or illegal substances. Membership may be terminated if this policy is violated.
- The YMCA will not tolerate any form of discrimination from members, employees, volunteers, etc., based on race, gender, sex, age, religion, ethnic background, disability, etc.
- The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit reserves the right to adjust or alter policies when necessary. This may include suspension and or termination of one’s membership.
PAYMENTS & REFUNDS
A bank or credit card draft electronically deducts monthly dues from a member’s checking, savings or credit card account. Members may choose to be drafted on either the 11th or 25th of every month. The draft will cover the subsequent month. The YMCA accepts MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express. If the scheduled draft date falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the draft will occur on the following Monday.
Any check or bank account draft returned for insufficient funds will be assessed a fee at the time of the return. A member will be automatically terminated after two unsuccessful draft attempts; however, the member is still responsible for payment of any unpaid dues.
It is the responsibility of the member to monitor their account activity and contact the branch business office immediately with questions concerning their account.
Participants will have programs fees fully refunded when classes or programs are cancelled by the YMCA. Refunds are processed within one month of cancellation. A credit toward another YMCA program is given when a participant drops a class for a medical reason. A doctor’s note is required to receive the credit and the amount will be prorated. The YMCA will not issue credits based on a participant’s inability to attend a program or class. Neither refunds nor credits will be issued when classes are cancelled due to severe weather or other conditions.
The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit will enable its members to ‘suspend’ their membership privileges due to temporary work relocations and medical necessities. In order to ‘suspend’ their membership privileges, the member must complete a membership suspension request form available at the branch via the Membership Development Director.
For approved suspension requests:
- Membership privileges may be suspended for a maximum period of three (3) consecutive months per calendar year. A member may suspend his/her membership once in any 12 month period.
- The suspension may be reviewed at 3-month intervals and extended at the discretion of the Executive Director.
- During the period of suspension, all facility access/usage is denied.
- During the period of suspension, monthly dues will be discounted 75%. The member will be responsible for the remaining 25%. These fees must be paid in advance or through monthly EFT. At the end of the suspension period (maximum 3 months) normal billing will automatically resume at the then applicable rate.
- 30 days notice is required for suspension requests.
GENERAL BRANCH GUIDELINES
The YMCA is a family association and asks its members to wear family appropriate attire. Members are required to wear appropriate sports clothing; gym shoes and non-marking soles, shorts and a shirt (no bare midriffs) are required in the Wellness Center, fitness classes, etc… A swimsuit is required in the pool, whirlpool and saunas. In the swimming pool, infants in diapers must wear specialty swim diapers manufactured specifically for swimming pool use. Clothing with profane or offensive language or pictures is prohibited. The YMCA reserves the right to define inappropriate dress when necessary.
Free child supervision is available for up to two hours each day for full facility members. Members must remain on the grounds of the YMCA while their children are in Child Watch. Please check with your branch for more information including age requirements, schedules and hours of operation.
All children and guests must be accompanied by an adult or in a supervised program while in the facility. Please see our membership team for age specifications.
Lost & Found/Locker Usage
The YMCA is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Lockers are for daily use only. All items must be removed when exiting the YMCA.
The Y is a smoke-free environment. Smoking is prohibited anywhere on YMCA premises.
Photography & Video Recording
All YMCA members and guests may be photographed or recorded by Y staff while participating in YMCA activities or events. These photos will be used for the sole purpose of promoting the YMCA. This includes social media sites. Photography or Video Recording anywhere in the YMCA is prohibited by YMCA members or visitors unless accompanied by a staff person and with special permission granted by the Executive Director.
Cell Phone Policy
Cell phone use is prohibited in the Wellness Center and Locker Rooms. Please use the lobby if you need to take a call or use your phone.
A month-to-month member may voluntary terminate his/her membership by completing a YMCA member cancellation form; all terminations must be submitted in writing to the branch at least thirty (30) days prior to the members next scheduled draft date. Terminations are only taken in person at the YMCA or through certified mail. The YMCA will not accept emails, faxes or standard mail.
All ‘12-month’ membership agreements will automatically renew at the 13th month on a month-to-month basis until cancelled by the member.
Wellness Center Guidelines
The YMCA’s approach to exercise is to focus on the whole person: in spirit, mind, and body. We offer health enhancement classes that improve flexibility, decrease stress, improve cardiovascular fitness, and much more. Our professional staff is trained to work with members of all fitness levels.
- Members are highly encouraged to take advantage of their complimentary fitness orientation. These orientations are an educational tool that assist YMCA members in implementing safe and effective exercise guidelines. This one-on-one orientation will explain the general components of exercise, proper use of equipment, and wellness center procedures, both for your enjoyment and safety. Please see a Wellness Center attendant to schedule an appointment.
- Members aged 13 to 17 years are permitted to use the Wellness Center. Refer to Wellness Center Teen Rules.
- Children 12 years old and younger are not permitted in the Wellness Center except during special programming times if available.
- Proper workout attire for a family atmosphere is required.
- No jeans, belts, keys, rubber suits/excessive layers, or open toed shoes including sandals etc…
- Clean athletic footwear
- Shorts and a shirt that covers the mid section and chest must be worn at all times in the wellness center and group exercise classes.
- No Guests under the age of 18 are permitted.
- Use equipment correctly and return everything to its proper place.
- Re-rack free weights
- Do not slam weight stacks or drop free weights on the floor.
- Be courteous and respectful of other members by:
- Wiping down equipment after each use with the appropriate disinfectant.
- Allowing fellow members to “work-in” when performing multiple sets on weight machines.
- Abiding by a 30 minute limit on cardio machines during active time periods per the discretion of the Lifestyle Coaches.
- No horseplay, running, bouncing basketballs, disruptive behavior, or safety violations will be tolerated. Violators may be asked to leave and/or have their membership suspended.
- Cell phone use is prohibited while in the Wellness Center.
- Store gym bags and coats in a locker.
- Plastic bottles with caps only, No Glass Please!
- Please follow all directions of the Lifestyle Coaches in an emergency or power outage.
- Based on the recommendations of the YMCA of the USA, only YMCA certified personal training staff members are allowed to utilize YMCA facilities for personal training services. Our definition of personal training is any behavior perceived as one-on-one coaching, fitness training, and/or counseling being provided by someone other than a YMCA employee. Membership privileges may be suspended or terminated for failure to follow this policy.
For all 13 to 17 year old members
A parent or legal guardian must complete a consent form prior to use of the Wellness Center or group exercise classes.
- Teen members must have a wellness orientation prior to the use of the Wellness Center. See branch for specific details and limitations.
- Teen members are not permitted to perform any power lift moves: i.e. power clean, clean & jerk, power snatch, etc.
- Any workouts provided by a coach for sports training must be approved in advance by both the Wellness Staff and the Wellness Director.
- Teen members are not permitted to bring a guest into the Wellness Center.
- Teen members are expected to follow the general rules of the Wellness Center.
- Not following any of the fore mentioned rules could lead to loss of privileges of the Wellness Center.
GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES
- Members must be 13 years of age to participate in Fitness classes. Registration required.
- Members should return all studio equipment to the designated storage areas at the completion of class.
RACQUETBALL COURTS (WHERE AVAILABLE)
- Members may reserve free courts two days in advance at the Front Desk.
- Members may only reserve courts for one hour at a time and have only one pending reservation.
- Eye protection is required.
Aquatic features vary from facility to facility. Following are general association-wide rules. Please see your branch courtesy counter for branch specific guidelines.
Swimming Pool Rules
- For the safety and enjoyment of all participants, the lifeguard is in complete charge of the pool at all times and has final say in all rule interpretations.
- One whistle blast from the lifeguard, all patrons must STOP, LOOK and LISTEN to the guard.
- Two whistle blasts from the lifeguard, all patrons must EXIT the pool IMMEDIATELY.
- Every swimmer must take a soap shower before entering the pool.
- Every swimmer must wear a swimsuit that has a lining. Undergarments, cutoffs and/or gym shorts are not allowed in place of swimwear.
- No street shoes or strollers are allowed on the pool deck.
- Food or drink is not allowed on deck – except water in plastic containers and in designated areas.
- Breath holding activities and/or prolonged underwater swimming is not permitted.
- Running and horse play are prohibited on deck and in the pool.
- If lightning is detected within a ten mile radius of the facility, the pool (both indoor and outdoor), and all aquatic activity will be suspended and participants will be evacuated to a safe area.
Any swimmer under 18 years of age must take 1 of the 2 swim tests during recreational swims. Adults may be asked to take a swim test at the lifeguard’s discretion.
Deep End Test
- Swim one length of the pool or equivalent.
- Tread water without touching the pool sides & bottom for 1 minute.
- Deep Water Plunge: Swimmer must jump into the deep end and recover to the surface.
- Float on back and roll to front.
- Recover from floating position to standing position.
- See swim testing policy above.
- Only Coast Guard Approved PFDs are permitted during recreational swims. The use of these items is restricted to the shallow end of the pool.
- Swimmers less than 48 inches in height MUST have a parent/ guardian in the pool area. Parents must be in the pool with any child under 48 inches that did not pass the deep end swim test and must keep them within arms length at ALL times.
- Children who are not FULLY toilet trained MUST wear a swim diaper.
- Inflatable flotation devices are not permitted.
- The lifeguard may restrict the use of pool toys, instructional equipment and other recreational equipment at any time.
- Running, fighting, dunking, flips, sitting on shoulders and horseplay are not permitted.
- If diving is allowed at the facility, diving is allowed only in designated areas.
- Back dives and handstands from the side are not permitted.
- Starting blocks are for the swim team and swim lesson use only.
- Based on the recommendations of the YMCA of the USA, only YMCA certified staff members are allowed to utilize YMCA facilities for swim instruction, coaching swimming or personal training services. Our definition of the above is any behavior perceived as one-on-one coaching, fitness training, and/or counseling being provided by someone other than a YMCA employee. Membership privileges may be suspended or terminated for failure to follow this policy.
- At least one parent or guardian must accompany children into the pool.
- All open swim rules apply
- Children are permitted in the pool, except during reserved adult time, provided they are continuously swimming laps and meet the minimum age requirements. Please see the aquatics department for age specificatons.
- Swimmers should select a lane, designated by the YMCA, suitable to your swimming speed.
- When only two or fewer lanes are open, please adjust your speed accordingly.
- Inform other swimmers in a lane before entering that lane.
- When two or more swimmers are in a lane, please keep to the right side of the lane and circle swim.
- When there are only two swimmers in a lane they may agree to swim side by side.
- Slower swimmers must yield to faster swimmers at turns.
- The lifeguard may ask a swimmer to move to another lane if they have not selected a lane appropriate for their speed.
- Riders must be 48 inches tall to ride the slide and pass the deep end test.
- Riders must stay on their back at all times: feet first.
- Goggles, swim shoes or PFDs are not permitted on the slide.
- Equipment is not permitted on the slide.
- One person at a time.
- Please follow waterslide instructions given by lifeguards.
- All Open Swim rules apply for zero depth entry areas and other water features.
Shallow Water Test
Swimmers who cannot pass either test or refuse to take either test will be issued a Personal Flotation Device (PFD). Parents with multiple children may work/play with children within arm’s reach if they are 1:1.
Swimmers will be issued a wrist band designating the area in which they may swim. (Red – shallow with PFD, Yellow – shallow PFD not required, Green – access to all areas).